Dr Peter Hamer
MBBS MPhil (Surg) FRACS
Dr Peter Hamer is an experienced general and upper gastrointestinal surgeon who is excited to be able to offer a world-class surgical service on the central coast. After completing general surgical training in Australia, he went abroad to obtain additional expertise in the stomach and oesophageal surgery. He completed fellowship years at both the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Scotland and Christchurch Hospital, New Zealand. He has completed the ANZGOSA (Australia and New Zealand Gastro-oesophageal Surgery Association) fellowship training scheme. Peter is an active member of the Australian & New Zealand Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Society (ANZMOSS) and lives with his wife and three children on the Central Coast.
Dr Hamer has the expertise and is excited to be offering upper GI surgery including weight loss surgery, stomach and oesophageal cancer surgery, and surgery for reflux and large hiatus hernias.
He works closely with a team of allied health professionals to help you obtain the best results possible from your surgery. The weight loss team includes Megan and Sue, two highly experienced accredited practising dietitians and Lynita Clark, a registered psychologist with years of experience helping people achieve their weight loss goals.
Dr Hamer is dedicated to staying at the forefront of his field. He participates in the continuing medical education program of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons; he travels regularly to national and international conferences. He is involved in the teaching and training of surgeons and medical students at Gosford District Hospital. He is widely published in both national and international journals and was awarded a Master of Philosophy degree (surgery) from Adelaide University. See below for a list of Dr Hamer’s awards and publications.
Consultations with Dr Hamer can be made at 33 Etna St Gosford and Kanwal Medical Complex. Appointments at both sites can be made by calling 4380 8404. You can have your operation booked at Gosford Private Hospital, Tuggerah Lakes Private Hospital or Gosford District.
Companion Series: Oesophagogastric Surgery 6th Edition (Griffin). The management of achalasia and other motility disorders of the oesophagus 2018.
- Incidence of achalasia in South Australia based on Esophageal manometry findings. Duffield J, Hamer PW, Heddle R, Holloway RH, Myers J, Thompson SK. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2017 Mar;15(3): 360-365.
- Intramural oesophageal haematoma a rare complication of dabigatran Trip J, Hamer PW, Flint R. N Z Med J. 2017 Jun 2;130 (1456):80-82.
- Type III achalasia, a clinical description. Hamer PW, Holloway RH, Heddle R, Thompson SK. Accepted Diseases of the Esophagus March 2017
- Evaluation of outcome after cardiomyotomy for achalasia using the Chicago Classification. Hamer PW, Holloway RH, Heddle R, Devitt PG, Kiroff G, Burgstad C, Thompson SK. BJS 2016 Dec; 103(13):1847-1854
- Oesophageal adenocarcinoma associated with a right sided aortic arch Russell M, Hamer PW, Roberts RH. Accepted ANZ Journal Surgery June 2016
- Update in Achalasia what the surgeon needs to know. Hamer PW, Holloway RH, Crosthwaite G, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2016 Jul;86(7-8):555-9
- Laparoscopic stapled cardioplasty room for improvement. Hamer PW, Griffiths EA, Devitt P, Watson DI, Thompson SK. Journal of Gastro-intestinal surgery 2016 May; 20(5):1078-9
- Tracheo-oesophageal fistula after palliative treatment of oesophageal cancer. Hamer PW, Griffiths EA, Devitt P. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2015 Oct;6(5): E8608
- Clinician performed ultrasound of potentially malignant thyroid nodules Hamer PW, Aspinall, S, Malycha, P. ANZ J Surg. 2014 May; 84(5):376-9
- Bilateral laryngeal nerve palsy post Ivor-Lewis oesophagectomy. ANZ Journal of Surgery, Volume 79 (12) Dec 2009 Hamer PW Thompson, SK, Rees G, Devitt, P, Jamieson G.
- Evaluation of outcome after cardiomyotomy for achalasia using the Chicago Classification. Hamer PW, Holloway RH, Heddle R, Devitt PG, Kiroff G, Burgstad C, Thompson SK. International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus, Singapore 2016.
- Evaluation of outcome after cardiomyotomy for achalasia using the Chicago Classification. Hamer PW, Holloway RH, Heddle R, Devitt PG, Kiroff G, Burgstad C, Thompson SK. ANZGOSA/SUGGS national conference 2016
- Expandable stents for palliation of dysphagia in oesophageal cancer patients: A South Australian Audit. Hamer PW, Plagakis S, Cundy T, Bull J, Devitt PG, Schoeman M, Thompson SK. 2014 ANZGOSA/ANZHPBA conference, Queenstown, New Zealand.
- Clinician performed ultrasound of potentially malignant thyroid nodules’. Hamer PW, Aspinal S, Malycha P. South Australian registrar paper day 2012
- ‘Scald prevention: Should we get our health institutions in order first?” Hamer PW, Mackie I, Greenwood, J. ANZBA (Australia and New Zealand Burns Association) National Conference 2008
- 2015-2016 Australian Postgraduate Award
- 2011 Professor Derek Frewin AO Citation for Clinical Teaching, Adelaide University.